So, this is getting a little bit away from my original reason for starting this blog, but I thought I would give it a shot.
The other day, my gym trainer (it's not that fancy) and I somehow started talking about , "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" and the fact that her daughter who is going into 7th grade is watching. This child (and she is a child) was one of my fifth grade students two years ago. I noted my alarm that I really didn't think this show was appropriate for her. This is a kid who is going through a big evolution, from very independent tom-boy, to super cool cheerleader in one year. Her mom is quite naive to what she is becoming, and how much worse it could become. Her mom said she would talk to her about the show, but noted that the child did not want her mom in the room while she was watching it. (bells- she knows she shouldn't be hearing what they are saying)
I watched the show again the other day, thanks to TiVo. It's kind of terrible, but I find it somewhat intriguing. It is an odd show- they discuss things very blatantly, however not graphically. (i.e.- is oral sex, sex) I kept thinking that this is not a show for this 12 year old to be watching. Thankfully her mom brought up the topic to me again, and I told her I was glad she was talking to me about again, because I was fretting about her watching it (always a teacher)
I feel so bad for kids these days- they are exposed to SOOOO much more then we were. Those who know me, know how I hate the underage drinking of Laguna Beach and even though I love Gossip Girl, what they do on the show is ridiculous. I know I was pretty clueless when I was watching "Grease" and "Dirty Dancing" as to what was going on. But where those movies depending on innuendos, the kids today are being inundated with way too much, too soon.
Think back even to our beloved original 9-0, and how long it took Brenda and Dylan to sleep together and how "sensitively" it was handled. Somehow, I think the new 9-0 will not be as innocent.
Thoughts?
2 comments:
For years I thought the broken condom reference in Grease was to a broken bottle of perfum.
Ha, I thought it was a reference about an actual insurance card. I pictured a piece of plastic with an ID number on it, broken in half! For waaaayyy too long than I would care to admit :-).
And re: the subject matter - I'm sure you're right - the new 9-0 will surely be much more like GG (which I, too, love but also think is ridiculous).
Post a Comment