Thursday, July 2, 2009

Amazing Race- Charlotte June 23-25

It's hard to believe that I've been out of school a week, because it sure feels like a month! It also seems unbelievable that I have already gone on vacation and am back! It was hands down the best thing I've ever done; to leave right after I got out of school.

To review- Monday, June 22nd was my last day of school. Typically, it would take me several days to break down my classroom. (We have to pack up everything because they remove everything to clean the room.) I had told myself several months back that I really wanted to be out of there on the day we get out this year. Booking the trip to leave Tuesday morning only made this more of a necessity. The kids were very helpful as I told all about my "Amazing Race" and that they must help me get out the door.

After school saw me drinking with my school friends at our watering hole. The last day of school tends to be a later night of reverie. It was rather strange that it was a Monday, and we didn't like the Monday waitstaff at all! They obviously didn't know who we were:) Thank goodness Angela one of our two favorite bartenders was there! Around 9 there was a discussion of moving on to somewhere else (where my friend's sister is a waitress) but I had to be smart and go home and pack!

Tuesday morning- I get up, double check for all my stuff (but still managed to forget my bathing suit) and drive to Joellen's in Arlington. Her house will be the mat for the end of the race, and she was nice enough to host my snappy Ford Escape and to even haul me to the airport. My flight to Charlotte on USAir was at 9:45 am!

Now, I'm not a great flyer. I attribute this partly to the fact that I don't fly very often. I think if I did fly more frequently, I wouldn't be as anxious. Before last week, I hadn't been on a plane in almost two years. I have flown a handful of times solo. I did realize as I stepped up to check myself in, I was a little lost without Natalie, who is my most frequent flying buddy. When I got through security, it turned out all I had was a receipt. I had managed not to print my boarding pass- I don't think of myself as helpless too often, but sometimes I guess I am. Back to the kiosk....

Then off to the plane- a middle seat on a full flight! Dope! There went my plan to write my thank you notes to the kids. I didn't want to be throwing elbows in anyone's face. The flight to Charlotte was a nice easy one, and by 11:30 I was waiting to get off and be greeted by Stacey!

I had a great 2.5 days there. It was quite HOT, which for all of us in New England would be a welcome change. My main function of this trip was to support Stacey as she purchased her back to work wardrobe. Somehow this morphed into me doing a lot of stimulating of the economy of North Carolina. I thought that was very nice of me

Of course, I was also there to meet Cameron, who is even more beautiful than her pictures show. My economy stimulating included the cute outfit you see in the video below!

My other buddy of this leg was Charlie. I had previously had the pleasure of meeting Charlie at Christmas. He spent most of my time there licking my feet, my arms, my legs, you get the picture.


















The visit was so fast- and hopefully I was an easy-going houseguest! I did bring my Flip Cam from school and finally broke it out as I was leaving. Enjoy a little snippet of Miss Cameron (special appearance by Charlie) in the outfit I got her. Leggings!!!!

More race info to follow.......

1 comment:

Stacey said...

It was so much fun to have you here! And yes, you were a very low maintenance guest. You didn't even complain when I turned in every night by 10 PM. God, I've gotten old!