If you know me well, you know that I previously moved quite a bit. Six times in years to be accurate. And before you ask, no the FBI wasn't looking for me or anything. The moves lead to many jokes from friends that I take up whole pages in their address books. The one good thing I could say about the moves is that it forced me to limit the amount of stuff that I had.
I've been living at my condo for 3.5 years. As the anniversary of the first year approached, it felt strange to think that I would be staying. With that began the keeping of too much stuff! I have so many strange boxes and sterilite containers filled with simply, junk.
I think I'll be happy with the time I've spent this weekend purging. I also bought myself a new shredder. Very cool, has a handle for easy dumping. I of course managed to get it all over my previously vacuumed rug. Sigh...
So, while working away something struck me. I have a lot of stuff that still has the tags on it. I do use them and display them, I just never take the tags off.
Like Comet here for example.....
or this cute Teddy Bear, also from Hallmark.
It must be some weird OCDish thing that people like Natalie have pointed out to me in the past.
Why not just rip the tags off? I don't plan on returning them. (No, don't worry I don't do this with my clothes, just decorative items.) Do you think it is some weird carry over from those don't rip the tag off the mattress thing?
Here's one more- a cute new thing to put my mail in from the Jean Chatzky (Today show and Oprah guru) collection. I only bought this a week ago, but it's already hanging on my wall, and it still has the tag on it........how long do you think I'll let it stay there? I wonder what Peter Walsh, Oprah's new Clutter guru, would have to say about this habit?
5 comments:
Too funny! Love the paid/unpaid wall pocket.
I have deck chairs that still have tags on them. It took me years to take the tags off my hampers. Like you, I'm mystified - I don't know why. I think that I just don't think to do it - the tags don't interfere with use of the items (unlike clothes, where the tags bother you), so I forget once and then keep on forgetting.
I need some of your organizational/purging inspiration, my house is too cluttered!
I was watching the Clean House marathon and this one woman was saying that her house isn't cluttered because everything was in storage boxes. That is my biggest fear. I already have 100X more storage boxes than pre-house. Time to start weeding them out! And really, am I ever going to refer to my Darden materials ever again? It's just the fact that I spent 75K and aside from a rolled up diploma the boxes of papers are all I have to justify the expense :-)
Organization is a gift that many either refuse to learn or they are unable to harness. Relish in this gift but the tags have gots ta go, girl!
My motto is if you haven't seen, touched or used it in a year start shedding a tear...'cause it's outta here!
LOL at the tags! I am the same way!!!!!!! I need to get organized too. It's such an ongoing task to keep it that way though. Maybe I should make this a blog challenge, and post about this. But then I'd have to actually do it...hmm....hahaha.
Post a Comment