Did you know these fine young ladies? Were you as obsessed with The Babysitter's Club in the 1980s as I was? I'm not sure I can express the love I had for this Ann M. Martin series. I loved the girls' friendships and their misadventures. I was the last kid in Andover to ever get to go to Disney World (or at least it felt that way) and I lived vicariously through that Super Special Disney Edition for years!I can remember so clearly the excitement of the new book order paper coming out at school so you could see what the newest book cover would look like. I remember being tucked away in the back of Waldenbook's in Andover reading through the books and trying to figure out a way to convince my mother (who worked at the Andover Library) to buy me yet another one of these books. I think even then I realized the books weren't the greatest of literary merit- but I still loved them. I would definitely consider these books to be in the "digestible" category and as a teacher of ten/eleven year olds I work really hard to teach them how to balance their choices of reading; between the digestible, which everyone loves to read once and awhile, and the quality.
Well, apparently- Ann M. Martin has written a prequel- click below!
http://shelf-life.ew.com/2010/04/02/a-night-with-the-creator-of-the-baby-sitters-club-ann-m-martin/
How sad that I may have to run out and buy it! Well, I suppose I could write it off as necessary for my job:)
Did you have a favorite girl or storyline?
4 comments:
A prequel! I might preorder it. Or get it for Kindle. Yes, I was as obsessed as you. Big question is, which one did you think you were? I fell somewhere between Kristy and Mary Anne, but wanted desperately to dress like Claudia and Stacey.I couldn't really pull that look off.
OMG, I have to buy it! I was totally obsessed with the BSC! I was definitely Mary Anne, but wanted to be Stacey! :-)
I used to love the series!! I have so many of the books and some assorted merchandise, which I convinced my parents to buy for me!!
I first started with the Little Sister series (about Karen) first, but I quickly fell in love with the original story as I grew up.
I even watched the TV show and still own the movie.
I think I was most like Mary Anne- I wonder if a lot of the fans of the books were given she's the quieter and book worm one of the group!
What fun news! I'm reserving my copy on my library list right now. I was caught between Stacey and Claudia - loved the mix of fashions between the two of them.
Post a Comment