Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Sad Goodbye

Goodbye E.R., you've been a very good friend.

I remember vividly lying on the floor of my basement in 1994 enthralled by this show. I was a senior in high school, and taking Human Anatomy at the time. I loved all the scientific talk and was excited when I recognized the name of anything. Now, I knew that I wasn't going to be going to med school, but there was something very endearing about this show. You really found yourself rooting for the characters.


For the last several summers, I've been tuning in to TNT's "Primetime in the Daytime" airings of the old ERs. Two episodes a day, and 14 ish seasons made for lots of great repeats. I would always anxiously await certain episodes- like the Valentine's one with Carter and Lucy, of which I accidently spilled the beans to Mommy, Esq.

The episode brought us back so many old friends; Susan Lewis, Kerry Weaver, Reese Benton (so great to see the child actor grown up), and all the great nurses. In some previous episodes we had already seen Dr. Benton, Elizabeth Corday, and of course Carol Hathaway and Doug Ross. (Their return episode, "Old Times" was excellent.) Someone I didn't care to see- Kem. Referred to in this episode as Carter's wife, although I don't believe that we ever knew they had officially married. The episode saw the celebration of the Joshua Carter center, which was named for their baby. (I am determined not to spoil too much more for KJ.) Kem was sour, and I don't know why they ever stayed together these almost six long years if they weren't going to be able to move forward.

I recognized Rachel Greene right away ( I always thought it was funny that there were two Rachel Greens on NBC at the same time.) What a great way to end the series, with the return of Mark Green's former wild child to be a new med student. And I loved Carter at the end, "Coming Dr. Greene"

I will continue to watch and tape my repeats- I will continue to be wowed by the number of great, now well-known actors, who appeared who in those early episodes.

Goodbye E.R., you've been a very good friend.

No comments: