So, I've been "on the wagon" recently. Two years ago I tried a diet per say through my gym. It was a modified version of the diet from Anne Louise Gittleman, based on her book, "The Fat Flush Plan". It's a six week program that like others modifies the carbs that you intake and encourages the eating of almost more food than you would in a typical day. You eat protein every two to three hours, which is tricky to fit in to my typical school day. (since my lunch is at 11 a.m.) The first time that I did the plan I lost about 10 pounds total. It eventually creeped back on, and then some. All of my school friends are doing their own version of being healthy, so it seemed like a good time to get back on board (since clothes really haven't been fitting and I was starting to bend and buy new clothes in bigger sizes). Before Easter, I had probably lost about 8 pounds. Being on vacation, and out of my routine and having more access to other kinds of food, has been tricky. I'm still probably down five or six lbs.
Eating healthy has some side effects:
1. Lots of trips to the supermarket- and sometimes multiple supermarkets. Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Market Basket, Stop and Shop....they all have something I need.
2. Lots of recycling/trash- I have no recycling at my condo complex (which annoys me greatly because I've always been really good about recycling). I have to make lots of trips to my parents, and I inevitably always miss their recycling day, and they get mad at me:) I really wish I had a yard so that I could have a compost pile for all of my lemon rinds and egg shells.
3. Sleeping better- I have some issues with sleep, and more specifically insomnia. I've noticed that I'm sleeping a lot better, so maybe less junk in my system is helping.
4. Cranberry juice stains everywhere- A big crux of this plan is drinking unsweetened cranberry juice. (not easy to find, and not cheap) I drink 4 oz. of cranberry juice combined with 28 oz. of water. This stuff is really key. This is the magic that takes of your water weight, and you'll see weight fall off pretty fast, right away. (Like a pound a day at first) I try to drink two of them a day! Yes, I'm always running to the bathroom- which in my profession isn't always easy.
5. Eating of strange(r) foods- I loooooovvvvveeee buffalo. I love all red meat, and this is great because it's so not bad for you! No sugar or artificial sweeteners for me- Have you heard of stevia? It's a natural plant sweetener and it does the job. How about Live grain bread? Yum....
6. Lots of dishwasher running, and tupperware drying- for the first time, remarkable really, I haven't left multiple containers at school. Maybe the flaxseed oil is helping my memory.
7. I'm a hard boiled egg cooking and peeling pro! The key friends is to peel them when they are still warm, not too hot or they burn your fingers.
Being healthy isn't cheap and requires tons of prep work, but it's feeling all worth it!
3 comments:
I was just thinking earlier tonight that I wanted to see if you wanted to have dinner either at my house or out but then was thinking I didn't know what you could eat!
I'm not being too crazy about things- I mean, Melissa and I went to Friendly's today! I'm trying to approach this as long as I make good choices most of the rest of the time- then I can have whatever- we haven't been to Papparazzi in awhile
Helen, that is so awesome!! Congrats!! I should start using some of these tips - hard-boiled eggs are always the best diet food!! Glad to hear that you are feeling good!
Post a Comment