A month ago, the longest relationship I have yet to have ended.
I bought a new car:)
I haven't owned that many cars- I chuckle on Facebook when I'm invited to fill out "Five Cars I've Owned"- I haven't owned five cars (excluding my parents vehicles that I drove). I've just had three littel red cars.
I have proudly driven- a red '86 Nissan Sentra, in which the only thing that worked was the air conditioning, a red '92 Toyota Tercel, that had no airconditioning. These were my two used cars, both red, both two-door. I was very excited in 2002 to buy my first new car. I new I wanted A/C, and I knew that I wanted four doors. I ended up with my Mazda Protege. I was so proud to be buying a brand new car, and with 0% financing to boot. Ironically, I chose red freely this time- figuring that I would always be looking for my red car in the parking lot if I didn't buy red.
My Protege was very good to me. Very dependable, very comfortable. We had seven great years- but 90,000 miles later, things were starting to go south. I was mulling over a new car, wishing not to have a car payment, but realizing with the economy being what it was, it was a good time to get a new car. The decision to finally go forward happened the Friday before Memoria Day weekend. Like any other day, I drove away from my house and headed to school. A mile or so after leaving my house, I looked around at a light to see who's car nearby was making that terrible noise- then I realized that it was me! My muffler had gone! It was a sign!
I thought I knew what I wanted- I had my heart set on a Mazda CX-7. To make a long story short, I ended up not liking driving it all! (Isn't it funny how that works out) I shifted my affection towards the Mazda Tribute, but two Mazda dealerships could not really give me what I wanted. I wanted some good numbers. (they were offering some 0%, but not for long enough)
I was totally drained after hours of shopping on Saturday and I had no car to show for it. On Sunday, I made a random decision to check in with Ford. You see Ford owns Mazda, and Ford makes the same car at the Tribute, called the Escape. I'm sure that you know that American companies are a little desperate, and they had the 0% financing that I wanted. I had plans to buy the vehicle from an old "friend"s dad who runs a Ford dealership-but they were not open. You snooze, you lose, right. I ended up at a random other dealership that I knew was owned by a different family who's kids had gone to my high school. (The son in the family does some assorted handy work for my parents.) Turns out that their dad who owns the dealership was in that day- was happy to meet me and ended giving me a great deal! Money for my Mazda, waived a bunch of fees, and I kind of sat there in shock- I couldn't walk away from this.
If you know me pretty well, you know that I am a BIG emotional sap. I was heartbroken to say goodbye to my car. I painstakingly cleaned it out- and boy did I have a lot to clean out of it (six moves you know, equals storage being in your trunk) As I was doing this, I thought about all that had changed in my life in the time that I've had this car. It saw me through six apartments, seven roommates, and two boyfriends. This car is the longest, and I guess the most successful, relationship that I've had. Now I was abandoning her.
I picked up new mini-SUV on the Wednesday after Memorial Day weekend. My heartache went swiftly- I parked the Mazda out front and when I came around with the new wheels, she was already gone:( I have remarkably made peace, and I LOVE my new car.
My new Escape is pretty awesome- it has two-toned camel interior, and yes even a month later it still smells new! I have Sync technology- built in Blue Tooth, meaning I will eventually be able to say, "Call Mommy, Esq" and I could also say, "Play Cold Play" from an IPod. (Of course I had to get a new phone, to go with this new car and I only have an IPod shuffle, so who knew that I would have to factor in these purchases along with the car.) It has built in Sirius Satellite radio- and I have found great love for the 90's station! It's like a flashback every couple minutes! You will also be proud to know that I have kept it very clean! I bought myself a rubbermaid container to stay in the way back and that is where I keep my grocery bags, umbrella, etc. I've even vacuumed and washed it. I won't leave any trash or drinks in it.
I really missed my Escape when I was gone on my Amazing Race- and I do love being back up high (since I learned to drive on a minivan, driving all these little cars was actually kind of trying) I see them everywhere, and I am proud to report that it was the best selling small SUV in May- when I bought mine, so I must be doing something right. It's also only a two gallon bigger tank than my Protege.
Now if I could only find a guy to drive with me.....
3 comments:
We need more TAR details please! I would laugh my ass off if you actually used "Mommy, Esqs" intead of my name.
Love it! Congrats on the big transition. Cleaning out the car is the worst.
Such a cute car! Maybe I'll look at it when my car finally goes. But I need another 3 years out of the Jetta. That would bring me to 11 years. Eek! My longest relationship too! So glad you were able to visit and I want more details about the rest of your trip too.
Post a Comment