Saturday, October 18, 2008

Shows you will watch over and over and over......


I know that I'm not alone in this. Sometimes it is a comfort just to pop in a favorite movie as comfort or background noise. (I wrote all of my college papers listening to Steel Magnolias or Shag- yeah, I've got some weird southern fetish.) The creation of "TV on DVD" has really changed my watching habits. I find my attention span isn't long enough usually for a movie, and an episode or two of a great show can be the perfect fit. (If I have school work to do- it's Pride and Prejudice (BBC version) all the way)


My greatest obsession the last couple years has been "Veronica Mars". It's an addiction. A serious, serious addiction. It's so depressing that it is only 64 episodes. Every couple months, I rewatch the whole series. This week I was so bored of tv, I popped in the first disc, and just sighed. Kristen Bell is just amazing. The show is so clever and well written. She's so underused on Heroes and although I genuinely enjoy Gossip Girl now, I only ever started watching it so I could pretend that it was Veronica doing the narrating. Boy would Veronica hate Blair and Serena!


I also love, love Alias and Lost. I own the whole Alias series, and periodically enjoy rewatching that too. Both of these shows involve complicated story lines, with chunks of dialogue that aren't in English- which is hard if you aren't totally paying attention.


DVDwise in the last few years I have also discovered Big Love, and The Tudors. I'm intrigued by Mad Men and a few others.


Anyone else find themselves watching more DVDs and less regular tv?


5 comments:

Husband said...

I've got Grey's from last season from Netflix but I'm still watching regular TV. I agree about VM - best show ever...

Husband said...

This is Mommy Esq...I'll fix my login.

Stacey said...

I haven't been big on the TD DVDs yet. I record so much on my DVR and have to let DH have some TV time! Perhaps I'll pick more up when the baby comes and I have 12 weeks at home.

Gretchen said...

I've gotten a few TV shows on Netflix - love Entourage and liked Nip-Tuck. Tried to start Big Love, but have never made it through. I am much more pop a movie in and must say P&P is one of my faves too!

Anonymous said...

I'm a TV on DVD addict. I've got Carnivale, Big Love, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Veronica Mars, Due South, That 70s Show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Supernatural (though I stopped after season 2), Grey's Anatomy (some), Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Dead Like Me, & Pushing Daisies. And there's more I want. It's sad really! I actually just picked up some actual MOVIES on DVD over my birthday. I realized I had so many TV shows on DVD and practically NONE of my favorite movies.