Tuesday, July 13, 2010

R.I.P.

I plan to honor Theresa's request and cover all the proposed topics, but the spirit of blogging is to discuss what is relevant in your life at the moment, right. So, I will first go with the drama of yesterday.

I have a really hard time sleeping. I am so jealous of those people who are very sound sleepers. My sister for one says to me, "as soon as my head hits the pillow I fall right to sleep". Yeah, well that's not me. I don't remember having tons of sleep issues pre-college, but adjusting to the noise of the dorm was really tough on me. I'm also someone who's mind races if I'm not tired enough to fall asleep. In college I quickly found love for a small fan; the cool breeze on me year round, and the beloved white noise that it created. That fan burned out in my junior year and I remember a humorous trip to Home Depot in the middle of the winter of 1998 trying to to purchase a new fan. That fan is still kicking.

Four years ago I moved to my new condo. Part of me knew there could be trouble because this place was basically on the second floor with someone else above me. This person has no rugs and is a stomper. Very quickly I went to Sharper Image to find a noise machine. It was love at first listen. This machine had all sorts of harmonious sounds; like Everglades, Rain, Summer Night, and Surf's Up. My only sound of choice- white noise. Oh, how I love white noise. In the summer I love that I get to have the fan, the noise machine, and the air conditioner. When the power goes out in the middle of the night, I immediately wake up because all of these go off, and along with the beep of my charging cell phone, and I feel like I am on many life support machines that are being shut down!

I've often joked that I should work for Consumer Reports. I'm kind of "tough" on my things, so that if they can survive me, they can survive anything. My beloved machine has traveled with me and there may have been some bumping, dropping, etc. It has the option to run on batteries, but I realized quickly that I would be sucking those puppies dry pretty quick in order to run the machine all night, every night. I had to buy a separate 12 V adapter- which is GIGANTIC, and weighs like five pounds.

I've had a busy few weeks and the machine has been many places with me. Our first morning back on our bed, around 6 a.m., the machine just went off. I reached for the button- nothing. Later in the day, I unplugged it, gave it a rest, and it resuscitated briefly. Now- nothing again. I'm off to Bed, Bath, and Beyond to see if I can find a replacement.

So, rest in peace my beloved noise machine. I wish we had had many more years together but you've been a great friend:)

1 comment:

Girl in Carolina said...

Let me know if you find something awesome! I'm on a mission to find something that can replace my beloved box fan. I love it but I need something that can travel. How do people sleep without fans or white noise??? haha