Monday, September 29, 2008

Heroes vs. The 4400

I've had some requests, specifically to talk about Heroes some more. (So Erica, if you're out there and reaidng this blog, I expect some posted comments from you.) This season more than ever, I've been seeing a lot of parallels between Heroes and one of my now dead favorites, the 4400. When I ever saw Mohinder inject himself with the essence of Maya, all I could think of was when they began selling shots of promicin ( the stuff that the 4400's produced in their bloodstreams.) Let me back up....The 4400 was a little show on USA that premiered in the summer of 2004. It was essentially about a group of people who had previously disappeared (kidnapped) and were returned to earth. We think initially by aliens, but we find out later that they were taken by people from the future, given abilities, and sent back into earth's timeline to change things for the better. They could do all sorts of things; heal people, precognition, telekinesis, and some other crazy ones.

From the beginning, I thought Heroes was a lot like this show. The parallels keep growing. The 4400 was only on for 4 seasons; and since they are cable seasons they were short. (The first season was a mini series of like 5 episodes, then three more seasons of 13 episodes or so.) In the third and fourth seasons, normal people were clammering to be "special" like the 4400s and began taking shots of promicin to gain their own abilities. This seems to have been implied to us by Future Peter (the very appealing Milo Ventimiglia) that people are taking shots of Hero blood to be like them.

Speaking of Peter, after finally watching all of the first two episodes- The Second Coming and The Butterfly Effect, I had a big question. Most of you know or have actually seen me multitask while watching tv, i.e. I don't pay as close attention as I should. I was totally perplexed near the end of the episode when Future Peter was talking about "dropping" regular Peter into the body of Jesse (the lovely Francis Capra). Was I supposed to know that? Did that happend on screen? There better be a lot more to Francis Capra's guest starring role than just seeing his reflection when Peter sees his reflection! How many of you were wishing that Elle would have paused in front of his cell on Level 5 and do a double take? I was- Just throw the Veronica Mars fans a bone, Tim Kring!

5 comments:

Stacey said...

I am not happy about the plot point that will now allow any person to have "Hero" abilities. It moves the show away from the mythology that these people were "seleced" for a specific reason to have these powers. I knew they were going to go in this direction just to give boring Mohinder something to do. Why can't we have a few "normals" hanging around? Why does everyone have to be related? Laziness. Pure laziness. The writers need to take a page out of the Lost handbook and revampt the show. Last season was a disaster and this one appears to be heading in that direction. Too many characters, no real adherence to the original plotline, ludicrous new plots. I love these kinds of shows but Heroes is disappointing. I guess it's a good thing they are so popular abroad - those revenues will keep them in business.

Anonymous said...

I was so waiting for that tube of blood to glow green!!! I'm kind of sad, though, that they can't come up with something better than a weak copy of the 4400. What I'd really like to see at this point is some serious analysis. Knowing the future is a serious proposition. Isaac painted the future, along with Peter and whoever is flavor power-taker of the week. But every time a future is revealed, one or more of the Heroes changes it. They're way past a Butterfly Effect...all the changes that have occurred since the end of the first season are about the size of a supernova effect. How can they even tell which of these futures might still exist--and they clearly do because the future people keep popping back in to tell everyone that the future is bad--and someone sit down, like Hiro did with that analysis and intersection string model, to figure out what would really be a GOOD thing to do next?

Natalie said...

okay, i don't mean to stop the lunchtime chatter at Starfleet Academy here but I just have to interject that if this blog has any intention of becoming the sci-fi channel I'm not only going to boycott, but I'm going to picket outside of your condo! I read about five words of your posting because I got confused, scared, bored, and then angry when I realized that this was not the fluffy commentary on shows about rich people but it had quickly turned to trekky-like reviews of storylines with people injecting themselves with essence of other people and aliens and telekinesis and precognition (what the ???). I cannot participate if this is where it's going, i won't, i can't, i'll simply have nothing to contribute. So, while Erica may hav asked for more Heroes or 4400 chatter, I beg of you to stop the madness. Please, make it go away. It hurts my head.

Rains said...

Both are fantastic shows I saw every episode of both of them. Mostly I love The 4400 Heroes & thats why I download The 4400 TV Show with all episodes online!!!

Anonymous said...

For me both are at the same level.I can't decide which one is better.I haven't saw both of them since long.But i like to watch the 4400 again to make better comparison between them as i forgot the story line of it.