Did you ever get sick of talking about something? That's how I feel currently about the state of my "new" job.
Many of you are my real life/facebook friends so you were privy to the exciting news back in MARCH that I had applied for and got a new position. This position would be as the Project Director of a Federal Teaching American History Grant. I basically would be in charge of the programming to help improve the content knowledge of teachers of American History in Grades 3-5. As I was a History major in college, I am kind of an anomaly in the elementary school world. I never thought this awesome opportunity would pop up for me.
I was hesitant to apply initially for a bunch of reasons. I wasn't sure I was ready to leave the classroom for three years. Yes, it's a three year gig. I love teaching because I love the kids and this would be a lot of paper pushing, phone call making, etc. This past school year proved to be kind of tough, and since it was my tenth year teaching I thought maybe it was time for a change. By far the biggest reason I was unsure about the job was just that- the uncertainty of it. The grant application was due in March and I knew best case scenario we would hear by the beginning of June. Worst case scenario, it would be more like mid July. My district had previously applied for, and received, these million dollar grants two times. The one we have currently is more high school focused.
You see in my world the fourth graders learn that I'm their teacher at the end of the school year. Not to toot my horn or anything, I'm kind of a celebrity to these fourth graders after ten years. I've had everyone's siblings, I'm very friendly and know lots of their names and say hello to them around the building. The fourth graders start their "campaigning" for me usually at the end of May. (They have no say in anything, but it's pretty funny to see them try to get my attention and one's who have never spoken to me suddenly know my name.) I was not excited about the idea of lying to the kids that I would be their teacher, and then they would get a letter in the summer saying never mind. I was also not sure what parent reaction would be. Everything actually went fine, and several parents I knew told me how excited they were for me to have this opportunity. When the job came through, one of my teammates would take my job (we were four classrooms this year, but three next year). And if no job, that teammate will teach fourth grade. Are you seeing how complicated this is?
When I was away in early June, I got an email that the decision would hopefully come through around July 10th (which was weirdly a Saturday, but whatever). Ok- and the following week would be the 15th so mid July right? July 14th comes- new email from "insiders" who say now it's the end of July. Ugh....ok. One week after that, another email- beginning of August. Now all those involved, the grant writer, other director, etc say this is so strange, can't believe it. No, this is just What the Helen.....
So it's July 26th- and I'm still waiting. I really thought my summer would start when I knew which job I would be doing. Now I just kind of feel like my summer is gone and I've spent it with a knot in my stomach:( I honestly don't care which way it goes anymore, I just need to know! My teammate deserves to know what grade she's teaching, my students deserve to know who will be their teacher and someone might need to be hired at the last minute and that never works well!
So please cross your fingers for me that this is all resolved soon because I can't take too much more of this!
2 comments:
Fingers definitely crossed! What a waiting game!
Job uncertainty = life uncertainty!
Post a Comment