Tuesday, September 30, 2008

OK, Nat, the Amazing Race?

I apologize if I offended any other haters of Sci-Fi, like my dear Natalie. Yes, this blog should be about fluffy, rich kid shows. I just felt the need to branch out:)

Sunday night was the premiere of probably one of my FAVORITE shows hands down;
the Amazing Race. I've watched every season of this show (and if you're looking for a great show to randomly record, they replay all the old seasons on the Game Show network) I haven't traveled a great deal, but in my mind I would like to think that I would and could do more travelling.

I got really into this show back when Natalie and I were living in Stoneham, and we used to keep our own version of a blog of the race, of how we would have approached each task, etc. This began our obsession with actually going on the race. We joked about how we would always be hungry, and wanting to stop and eat and that we would want to sing songs from "Wicked" through the Sahara Desert. We figured the producers would probably tell us we couldn't, because they wouldn't be able to get the rights to the songs. We discovered places that looked so beautiful and we wouldn't definitely want to go to. And conversely we found places we had no interest in EVER going to (sorry India and Vietnam). In fact, we always love to watch as teams combust by the time they are packed like cattle into a train car deep somewhere in rural India. Heh, heh, heh.....

Lately my friend JoEllen at school and I are talking about teaming up. We figure we could do it as long as they filmed in the summer, and our principal would love it. JoEllen says she will do all the weird eating, as long as I handle all the height stuff. (Easier said than done, but I would try:) The new crop of Racers don't seem too spectacular. The Bee Keepers are classic:) I always love the couple in crisis- this time we have an ex-NFL player and his wife from Florida. Why do people think this physically and emotionally taxing race is the place to see if they are meant to be? It makes better tv for us when they start yelling at each other.....There's the newly dating couple, another great idea. (This guys seems especially needy in that he was whining in the preview that his teammate was spending too much time talking to other teams, when she should be spending time with him. Maybe she figured out quickly that you were annoying, dude.) Some geeks, frat boys, token Southern blondes, and others. No standouts for me yet. I will report back next week.

Your homework is to learn how to say "Go faster" in the following languages:
Portugese, Spanish, Swahili, Hindi, Chinese,

And if in doubt, it seems to be okay if you just say "Muy Rapido" to anyone around the world:)

2 comments:

Mommy, Esq. said...

I too love TAR. I know I could never be a good competitor. You and Husband should go on together - you'd rock. Husband (sitting next to me) says that you two should only go on if you were deciding to "take it to the next level".

Natalie said...

i haven't watched the first episode yet but i'm saving it like a fine wine (or when i get back from being out of town). oh sweet memories of our old imaginary amazing race trips where we'd beat the competition through humor and absolute dumb luck. thank you helen for going back to the kind of blogging i can relate to and enjoy so much.